Hotels, history and sights of Kecskemét, Middle Hungary
The seat of Bács-Kiskun County is also known as the "Famous Town". Kecskemét apricot brandy, Art Nouveau buildings decorated with colourful ceramics, and the "Kodály method" of teaching music have spread its fame far and wide. The system of teaching music developed by composer and native of Kecskemét Zoltán Kodály attracts people from all over the world to the Kodály Institute.
Famous buildings on the spacious Kossuth Square: the glazed tile roof, colourful floral decorations, and beautiful frescos in the magnificent Gala Hall make the TOWN HALL a masterpiece of Hungarian Art Nouveau and the country's most beautiful such office. Chimes are rung every hour, the melodies of which were composed by Zoltán Kodály (1882-1967).
The FRANCISCAN CHURCH and CALVARY was built 600 years ago; it is the town's oldest church with a rich Baroque interior. The foundations of the CALVINIST CHURCH were laid in the 15th century. The GREAT CHURCH or OLD CHURCH was designed by a Purist father, and is the Hungarian Great Plain's largest cathedral in the style of Louis XVI.
The ZOLTÁN KODÁLY INSTITUTE OF MUSIC EDUCATION occupies the now reconstructed former Franciscan monastery. On the ground floor there is an exhibition of the life and career of the great master.
Search for hotels in Hungary
This page lists the hotels in alphabetical order.
You can change this order by selecting other options using the form below:
Hotel Apollo with 24 rooms is situated in a silent street in the centre of Kecskemét. Near to the hotel there are museums, tourist sights, restaurants. The hotel has a closed parking yard, where we can watch your cars.
Hotel Háry *** is happy to welcome its present and future guests in Kecskemét together with the Háry restaurant offering gastronomic specialities and the Roulette Club offering high level entertainment for the guests.
History and main sights of Kecskemét
One turn-of-the-century Hungarian Art Nouveau masterpiece is the CIFRAPALOTA (Ornamental Palace) decorated with colourful floral-pattered ceramics. It houses the KECSKEMÉT GALLERY which exhibits 19th and 20th century works by famous Hungarian painters.
The HOUSE OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY is situated in the former synagogue in Romantic, Moorish style. The exhibition includes authentic plaster replicas of 15 of Michelangelo's sculptures. The PIARIST CHURCH AND MONASTERY carries the characteristics of Hungarian Baroque style, the LUTHERAN CHURCH designed by the famous Hungarian architect Miklós Ybl is Eclectic in style. Hungary's largest naive fine art collection, comprising nearly 2,500 paintings and statues, is in the MUSEUM OF NAIVE ART, known as the "Stork House", a historical folk monument going back two centuries.
SZÓRAKATÉNUSZ TOY MUSEUM: model railway, children's toys from the beginning of the century, folk toys, children's instruments - more than 10,000 toys, plus the history of Hungarian toys.
The HUNGARIAN PHOTOGRAPHY MUSEUM is the country's only such museum, with about 300,000 photos.
An exhibition on the life of the great Hungarian dramatist (1791-1830) can be seen in the JÓZSEF KATONA MEMORIAL HOUSE, his birthplace.