Hotels, history and sights of Szeged, Middle Hungary
With an annual 2,100 hours of sunshine it holds the title "Sunshine Town". Szeged is sited at the confluence of the rivers Tisza and Maros. In 1879 the "Blonde Tisza" burst its banks and in one single night almost swept away the entire town, but a planned new town was built with international assistance and attractive eclectic Art Nouveau buildings.
World-famous products originating from here include the inimitable Pick salami and the Szeged red paprika which provides a fine taste to Hungarian dishes such as Szeged fish soup. The traditional intellectual atmosphere and the famed schools of the town gave and still give great writers, poets and scientists to the country.
Search for hotels in Hungary
This page lists the hotels in alphabetical order.
You can change this order by selecting other options using the form below:
The NOVOTEL SZEGED is situated in the most beautiful part of Szeged, directly on the bank of Tisza. There is a wonderful view to the city centre and the river from each room.
History and main sights of Szeged
Several of the town's most famous buildings are sited on one of the finest squares in the country, DOM SQUARE (which, you may be interested to know, is the same size as St. Mark's in Venice), VOTIVE CHURCH , with a mosaic of the Madonna in the sanctuary dressed in a long embroidered fell cloak and Szeged slippers, this vast neo-Romanesque edifice was completed in 1930, funded by those who escaped the flood. The five-board, 10,000-pipe organ is the key instrument at organ concerts frequently organized in the church. DOMOTOR TOWER is all that remains of a 13th century church. The NATIONAL MEMORIAL HALL contains the sculptures of 100 Hungarian notables. Famous figures in the MUSICAL CLOCK appear following the noonday peal of bells, and in the summertime the square hosts the SZEGED OPEN-AIR FESTIVAL.
The most outstanding art history work in the nearby SERBIAN CHURCH (Revai u.) is the Rococo iconostasis with 80 icons and perforated lace-like decoration carved from pear wood.
The NEW SYNAGOGUE (comer of Hajnoczy u.- Gutenberg u.), a monumental Moorish Art Nouveau building, is one of Europe's most beautiful Jewish places of worship. The magnificent atmosphere of its interior is provided by the white-gold-blue decorative elements and windows and the splendid glass cupola representing the universe. No bigger church was built on the Great Plain in the Middle Ages than the SZEGED ALSOVAROS CHURCH AND MONASTERY (Church of the Virgin Mary) (Matyas ter): 15th century late Gothic. Its icon is a copy of the world-famous original in Czestochowa.
The FERENC MORA MUSEUM (Roosevelt ter 1-3.) is home to an Avar age archeological display, fine art, natural history and pharmacy exhibition, the folk art of Csongrad County, and the memorial exhibition of the great Hungarian writer and museum director Ferenc Mora (1879-1934).
The CASTLE MUSEUM-LAPIDARIUM (Castle Gardens): a local history exhibition is staged in the only surviving part of Szeged Castle demolished in 1882.
The SZEGED SALAMI FACTORY HISTORICAL COLLECTION (Felsö-Tiszapart 10.) takes the visitor through the entire process involved in manufacturing the world-famous Pick salami.